Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I had a really great day - I didn't yell or feel frustrated once!
I got pretty pampered, too. Kannon got up with the kids, and had breakfast of cereal on the table. I prefer that to breakfast in bed. It's just too hard to eat in bed and then I end up all alone, no fun. While I was brushing my teeth, Benjamin brought me this strawberry. It's the only one that has grown, so far, on our 6 little bushes. He'd been asking for days if he could pick it and eat it. I told him on Saturday that I was going to eat the first strawberry. It touched my heart to have him offer it to me. It was good, too.
Kannon got the kids ready for church before his meeting and even came back to pick us up. My mom made me a maternity dress - I picked out the material and pattern, but she's a much better seamstress than I will ever be. Plus, she enjoys doing it. She had enough extra material left over that she decided to make a matching one for Sarah. I thought it was fun to have that for Mother's Day. It wasn't pink, but she liked it enough to wear it all day!


After church, Kannon made lunch - sandwiches with meat, lettuce, tomatoes. My favorite kind, just always more work than I want to do. He wouldn't even let me clean up! He then sent me off for a nap and took the kids to their room for awhile, so things would be quiet. Everyone ended up napping, yay! I got up first and was able to make soup for dinner without any interruptions. Another yay! I even had a mostly uninterrupted card-making time. Sarah joined me when I was almost done and made a card for Papa. I think that surprised him.

We had a potluck dinner at my mom's house. My Uncle John and Aunt Mary were there, also my brother Nate and Jackie and my sister Susan and Stephen. Dinner was good - my chicken rice soup was a hit, then came dessert. I knew my mom had made something and Mary brought creme puffs, so when Kannon plopped an ice cream cake from Cold Stone in front of me, I was surprised. I love their ice cream cakes and they are definitely a rare treat. That was my gift from him. We still have half in the freezer - I'm hitting it tonight!


Uncle Stephen and Aunt Jackie are some of the kids favorite playmates. They actually spent a few hours outside with the kids on Sunday.

Ben took pictures of everyone, but I thought that might bore you all. This one, though, is a keeper. My mom wears my dad's old work glasses when she hasn't put her contacts in - for driving or watching tv. Sarah found them and had to try them on. Classic!

And Ben had to have a turn, too. It kind of reminds me of the 80's - my brother had glasses kind of like this! And everyone's glasses were too big for their faces. I've got some scary pictures of me like that, too!

It was a good day. I felt super relaxed and then Monday came. Back to the old grind stone. I asked Ben why he was so good to me the day before but not the next day. He made sure I understood that that was just because it had been mother's day. I guess it would be nice to have his mother's day attitude all year!
I've promised him a "Kid's Day" in August. We'll have to come up with something fun and exciting for them. I know my mom used to do half birthdays for us. And that was always a special day - we got to pick out our favorite dinner. And a treat at the store - usually after some alone time with mom. And we were just treated extra special that day. I wish I thought more to treat my children as special as they are, more often.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds like an awesome day. Props to Kannon, seriously! What a great husband. Ummm, and I totally do not remember this "half birthday" thing with mom... maybe you were the only one that got it? :)

Margaret said...

Love the glasses! Reminds me of 7th grade. I'm seriously laughing at the mental picture.

Susan said...

Yeah I don't remember the half-birthday thing either. Maybe that was before my time, like everything else!

It was fun hanging out on Sunday!!