Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Money Matters and Family time.

So, Kannon was laid off again for a few weeks. We didn't feel too much worry. I think, for me, it's a showing of my faith. I'm trusting the Lord more, that He will take care of us at all times. The day after his lay-off, he got a call from his old company. They let him know that they wanted to hire him in 2-3 weeks. It was only a few days later that he got the call to come in. So, he was off for about a week and a half. Money has been tight. My biggest worry was that we had $900 in medical bills due right then. $500 from Kannon's ER visit in November and $100 for each of the rest of us for a visit to the urgent care in February. We have struggled with the medical stuff. Just the fact that we don't really have a doctor. None of the Fallon doctors are covered by our insurance. The ER is covered, but the doctor who sees you is not. And the Urgent Care in Fernley (30 mins. away) is covered. We could get a doctor in Reno, but that's 60 miles away and doesn't seem like the best idea, but one we're probably going to have to choose. Anyway, I was worried about what to do with those bills and Kannon was anxious to get our bathroom done. He chose to sell his gold coin. We got almost $1300 for it. We were able to pay those bills and have enough to buy our vanity and sink. We had a fun time finding the right stuff. We thought the vanity we wanted was at Home Depot. We had some stuff to return there and stopped in Carson City to do just that. We found the vanity, but weren't quite sure. We weren't impressed with the sinks, so we went to Lowe's to check there. We found the sink top we wanted for $108, but they didn't have any in stock. They were a clearance item (from $220) and they weren't going to get any more, but the store in Reno had 6 of them. So, we drove around to Reno and got our sink top......for $57!!! That was awesome, plus we had a coupon for $5 off. Then we ran across the street to Home Depot and picked up the vanity. We already had the fixtures, from a Lowe's clearance, too. $25 from original price of $99. I bought different handles and knobs for the vanity to match what we have in the bathroom.

Kannon was a busy bee the days he was off. He got up to take care of the kids in the morning and let me sleep in a couple of times. Ben and Kannon made pancakes. . . . . .

Dug out weeds and tilled the garden area. Also mowed down the weed/grasses growing on the side of the house. . . . . .

I loved how Josh got in on the action. It was fun to watch him copy his daddy.

We enjoyed the nicer weather. We were actually a bit cold right here and shortly went in. We went out for ice cream at DQ. Joshua did pretty well with his first ice cream cone.

Back to the bathroom. We had already purchased the wainscoting and trim so we got that put up while Kannon was still off. That was a tough job for us. Kannon doesn't do well with imperfection and, since this was new to us, it was far from perfect. But, it's done and mostly looks pretty nice. The rest of the caulking and touch-ups will leave it looking pretty grand.

Kannon also wire-brushed and painted the claw foot tub that has been sitting on our deck for 4 years. We had a couple (okay 5) of our male friends come over and help move it into the bathroom. It's not hooked up yet because that fixture is not cheap! Hopefully soon. I can't wait to have some relaxing baths there. In a room that I can lock! We can do that now, lock doors. We also bought a new toilet and Kannon got that installed. If you come over to check out the bathroom, Sarah will flush it for you! I think we're all a bit proud of the new bathroom. And it's nice to know that I can lock the doors now that we have 2 toilets.

We didn't get to go to the fundraiser dinner for Ben's school (because of money) but I did make cinnamon rolls for the auction. We, of course, ate our share of them, too.

We enjoyed the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A time to listen to the words of the prophet and other leaders of the church. We watched from the comfort of our .... bed!! We don't get the BYU channel, but we do have the internet, in our room. So, we all piled in there and were able to get something out of most of it! We did go out to my parents house for the last session.

Our computer and President Monson.

And I gave Joshua his first haircut with the clippers. He thought it tickled, but did really well to sit for me. He's now a toddler and not my baby anymore. It's sort of sad. I started thinking about what I'd do when he goes to school and had the (gasp) thought that maybe I'd better have another one. We'll see! Not in the works yet. And not really in my plans yet. I'm just not sure I can do another one. Elder Holland talked about Parenting 505, the class that parents-with-difficult-children take (vs. Parenting 101!). We've had that class 3 times now and you'd think I'd be an expert, right. Well, I'm not an expert and I'm not sure I want to try to be one by having another 505 child.

No comments: