Friday, March 6, 2009

Polish doings and goings and comings and ......

We got to go to the temple last Saturday and do the work for some of Kannon's family. We met with his sister, Sasha. She got to do her grandma and I did her grandma's sister. Kannon did another family name. I was kind of not happy about going to the temple 2 weekends in a row. I know that sounds awful. But, it takes so much time, and I've allotted once a month. I have to find a babysitter each time, too. We've had these time consuming projects on our plate (well, mostly Kannon's plate - but it stresses me, too.): finish a friends plumbing on their addition, cut and remove a tree my uncle felled for us, and fix our Suburban. So, as you can imagine, every spare minute has been utilized and I had a hard time giving up the hours it takes for the temple. BUT, I had a very enjoyable time. I knew the kids were in good hands. It was special to do the work for someone I'd actually met. And it really does set the tone for our family when Kannon and I have been to the temple together.
Just that morning though, we had a stress. A few weeks before the burb had been dying on me. I could always get it started again, though. Kannon changed the fuel filter and it had been running great for a week and a half. That morning he made a quick run to the hardware store. When he finally got back, he wouldn't talk to me and just started bringing in all his stuff from the car. It was a lot of stuff. I almost took a picture of it - surprising how much he could fit in his little geo. Anyway, I was surprised he wanted to take the car and not the burb. Then Ben told me the burb wasn't there. So, I finally got out of him that it had died 3 times on his way home and he couldn't get it started again about a block away from the house. After we got home from the temple he was able to get it home by adding fuel to the ?carburetor? Our neighbor fixes cars quite often and offered his help and advice. It was Thursday before Kannon could change the relay that Chuck thought would solve our problem. The burb ran great all night. We both took trips to the store and he took it to basketball. We didn't drive it again until Friday evening, over to the church (a few blocks away). The car died as I pulled into the parking lot. We did get it home later, after putting fuel in it again. Now, Kannon is in the process of syphoning out all the gas (1/2 a tank, about 20 gallons) so he can take off the tank and replace the fuel pump. I feel grateful that I've been able to get by without a car during the day and haven't felt too stressed. I just really hope we can get it fixed without to much expense.
Last Sunday, after church, I took Sarah outside for some pictures while she played a little. She is so hard to get now-a-days. She just makes goofy faces or says no, running away. I caught a few fun faces, but nothing I was excited about. I've been putting off portraits because of this. Both the grandmas have been asking for new pictures. So, half of the pictures she had her tongue sticking out - on purpose.
I wanted to try a tricycle pose. We have a picture of me at a young age sitting on a tricycle. My family used to cover up my head and call me the "headless tricycle girl". Hopefully Sarah's siblings won't try that!

We had ice cream cones for dessert. Yum! They sure were messy though.

I love these next 2 expressions. Huh?

and then, with the red-eyes I told Kannon she looks like a devil!
We got a picture of her later in just her diaper and a cowboy hat. With the chocolate still on her face she looked like a real cowboy, mustache and all.

Every night Kannon and I take turns putting the kids to bed. I sing them songs, and he tells them stories "out of his head". He's really good at making up stories for them. I grabbed this picture the other night. Ben is "upstairs" of course.

Today, we drove (in the little geo) to Winnemucca for a baptism. Our oldest niece, Kate, was getting baptized. It was really nice. The kids behaved pretty well. Kate asked our family to sing a song. We've been practising "When Jesus Christ was Baptized" for quite a few weeks, now. We had both verses memorized, but I really wanted to make a disclaimer. "We were asked because we are family, not because we have talent." and Kannon wanted to add "We're not claiming to be on American Idol." We didn't say anything, didn't want to detract from the spirit. Hopefully, my boys out of tune voices didn't harm any ears. I love them and the fact that they were willing to sing in front of so many! We had a great luncheon afterward, stopped at Walmart to spend a few more minutes with some of Kannon's family (where Sarah had a major melt-down and I left the store carrying her like a sack of potatoes!), then drove the 2 hours back. I drove both ways and I was so sleepy. I got to take a nap this afternoon while the kids watched cartoons, played on the computer, and Kannon worked on the burb. Now, I'm going to bed - losing that hour tonight is not going to make me super happy tomorrow. But, at least it's stake conference and I'll get an extra hour that way.

No comments: