Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We had a real tender moment this evening. On Monday Kannon was laid off. They actually asked him to take a week, maybe 2, off. But, we can't afford to do that so he asked them to lay him off. The way it works in the union is that when you get laid off you go on a list and the next hires come from the top of the list. The company he's worked for the past 6 years just didn't have enough work. I know they'll be sad to lose him. He really wanted to get another spot in Reno so he could continue to teach the welding class (Tues and Thurs nights to the apprentices). But, he didn't want to feel like he was betraying this company by going to work for their competitors. So, today he decided to take a position in Wendover, NV (or UT - depending on which side you're on!). He called me about 1 with that info and I agreed. It's actually the idea that had been in my head since we found out all of this on Friday. He will work 4 - 10's and they asked him if he could start tomorrow. The kids were napping while Kannon and I discussed this on the phone. When Ben got up I explained to him what was going on. We had kind of prepared him for this by talking about it a few days ago, letting him know it was a possibility. Benjamin is a daddy's boy. He wants to spend all of his waking hours with dad and gets pretty upset when he doesn't feel he's had enough time with dad that day. So when I told him that Dad would be leaving tonight for a few days he got a little teary. From then until Kannon left he would cry off and on. That was hard for me. He doesn't usually get emotional like that. He cries when he doesn't get his way and whines a lot, but this was a "my feelings are hurt" kind of cry. It was sad. And I'm a little sad too. (Sarah just liked all the loves and hugs going around!) Kannon spent almost the first 2 years of Ben's life working 4 10's out of town. I loved having the 3 days off together, but by the time it ended I could tell how much Ben missed his Daddy. They said this job will be at least 3 months, maybe more - but it won't be years like the other one was. Looking back I should've moved with him. It was just really important for him to see his Dad every day. I think we'll kind of feel this one out. Maybe make some changes if it gets tough. We do have family close to this job and I'm sure they'd help us if we chose to go there for awhile. This day has been a testimony builder, though. When he first told me of the lay-off I had faith that we'd find what we needed to take care of our family. On sunday we fasted for that need to be met. I'm not really surprised how quickly it's worked out and know that it's an answer to our prayers.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Betsy - you're welcome to come and stay with us whenever you need to for how ever long you need to. We are only two hours from Wendover.

Margaret said...

We have an extra room now too.

Hanna said...

You are being very brave! I felt so sad for you reading this post, I can't imagine being strong enough to send my hubby off for most of each week. Please let us know if you ever need anything!

Janet said...

I miss you guys already but am excited at the possibility of having you come visit. It looks as though we are going to have to rent a one bedroom apartment so that we can save some money. Not too excited about that but we will try to make things work. The Lord blesses us when we are faithful.