Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Granola Recipe

We love granola - I always have - But, who can afford to buy it!? When we were first married my mother-in-law gave us a great recipe. I don't make it very often, but we go through it pretty quick when I do. And most of the ingredients can be found in your food storage.
13 cups Rolled Oats - we prefer the quick, I think you can use either.
The big round containers have just a smidge more than you need.
1 pkg. shredded coconut - I probably use 1/2
1 cup dry milk powder
3 cups chopped nuts (any kind)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. vanilla
Mix together first 4 ingredients in very big bowl. Cook rest of ingredients in a saucepan over medium/high heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread on 2 large cookie sheets. Cook in 350* oven for 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice. I usually cook for 10 minutes, stir and switch shelves (move the bottom to the top, etc.). Then another 10 minutes, stir and use my judgement on more time or not. They should be turning golden brown.
I guess more than stirring, it's kind of flipping it over, hence the spatula in this picture. There's just not enough room on the sheet to stir without spilling.


Then we just keep it in a large tupperware container and enjoy! I like mine with milk. Kannon takes his in a cup and eats it on his way to work. He likes the big chunks and so I have to make sure I don't crumble them all when I'm stirring.

Hope you all enjoy this as much as we do! Do you have a great recipe that would save us money? Share it as a comment or on your blog.

No comments: